Employee or third party

If you need access to the Export Service to act on behalf of a business follow the steps below.

Step 1: Employees and third parties can request access via their management team

A business owner or principal authority needs to authorise your request.

You'll need a myGovID account to access the service.

If you don't have myGovID, follow the steps below.

If you're a business owner or principal authority, you can assign authorised access to an employee or third party instead.

Step 2: Set up myGovID

Already have a myGovID? Go to Step 3.

myGovID is a form of Digital Identity that lets you prove who you are when using online government services.

In the future, Digital Identity will be how most Australians prove who they are to government.

What you'll need

  • about 20 minutes
  • a smart device
  • 2 Australian identification documents
    • driver licence or learner permit
    • passport (not more than three years expired)
    • birth certificate
    • visa (if using your foreign passport)
    • citizenship certificate
    • ImmiCard
    • Medicare card

Identity strength

Your Export Service account requires 'Standard' identity strength.

Download myGovID from the App Store or Google Play and follow the prompts.

Find out more about how to set up myGovID., opens in a new tab

Step 3: Accept authorisation

You will receive an authorisation code via email.

Sign in to RAM using your myGovID details.

Enter the code.

Accept or decline the request within 7 days.

Sign in to RAM

Now, you have enabled full access to the Export Service. Sign in below.

Continue with Digital Identity

Digital Identity, opens in a new tab is a safe, secure and convenient way to prove and reuse your identity online.

Need more help?

Call 1800 571 125, Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm AEST